Tuesday 14 May 2024

barely hangin' in


 barely hangin' in today

The signs are clear: 

Yesterday I went to the bank to deposit a cheque into my daughter's account and only realized, after waiting outside the locked door for 10 minutes, that it was Sunday!

I went back today and again found the bank closed.  

Who knew that VanCity is closed on Mondays.

Leaving the parking area, and then getting in the wrong turn lane, I needed to go a few blocks out of my way in order to head home.

My emails are in a mixup and I can't find the most recent ones.  I know my wonderful techie will set it right but meanwhile I can't look up some information that I need.

That's what stress is doing today as my dear husband's health is bouncing up and down. 

Today it's down.

It's interesting to note how stress is affecting me, and to fathom how I can lessen  it.

I've been gardening like a mad woman.


I'm in bed at nine and up at five, drinking my first coffee.   

Yesterday I went for a walk before six and while it was peaceful, I didn't repeat it this morning. Instead, I watered a few pots and then had my second coffee....half decaf and half caffeinated beans, ground together.

In about two hours I have a book club meeting and the author will be at the gathering. 

AND I haven't read the book! I can't seem to concentrate.

We always have a great time, with lots of laughter, so I am pushing myself to attend.

Because really, if I didn't go, I'd just be in the garden and it really doesn't need me now.

on a wall in Fernwood

Yesterday, when I was feeling sad, I texted a friend and suggested we sit in the garden and drink Prosecco. 

And, hurrah, we did!

Until now, I haven't talked about the news. 

About the war and its all-encompassing horror

And about my daughter who lives in Israel and who is afraid.

In the midst of "this" I keep returning to ask myself  "What can I do? "What can I do?" "What can I do?"  

How can I help to make the world a more just and kind place?

a bouquet from a friend's garden

These questions seem to be a recurring theme in recent blog posts.

I'm tired of saying that we need do positive things within our own communities. And if everyone did that......blah blah blah.

Today I am adding that we need to stop our negative words, our words of blame and anger.   

Words of division and fault.

For today,  just words of compassion and connection.

And this again for the tomorrows that follow. 










3 comments:

  1. love reading this post, not unfamiliar feelings when the world is upside down. I hope Brian is better today and tomorrow and that your daughter is safe. Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The images accompanying your post, Jackie, are intriguing. Did you paint/make the striped chair with the heart-shaped back? Did you create the 2 images that are not pics of beautiful fresh flowers? The drinking-Prosecco-in-the-garden idea (ok, it could be sparkling water) is de rigueur! Maybe a tradition can be started - in your and others’ gardens. Government House? Will they allow 70+ y/o wo/men drink Prosecco in public? OMG! Stress - in-person is better. I mean, i’d rather confess confusion and ignorance in the presence of warm bodies with sparkling eyes than in Cyberia… Hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie .... I wish I knew some easy and logical answers to these world questions... but there are none... we just have to be kind to each other and hope there is a butterfly affect for kindnes. I can't imagine the fear that is in Satsung and her family.... and I am hoping Brian is having a good day... June

    ReplyDelete