Saturday 1 April 2023

living with uncertainty


 The world feels fragile, with fault-lines widening.

Cracks to step over

reminding me of the childhood sidewalk chant we sang as we walked.

 "Step on a crack, break your mother's back."

We didn't quite believe it, but we were still careful to avoid the lines.

646 killed in mass shootings this year in the United States

Ukrainian cities reduced to rubble

10s of millions displaced

floods and drought 

starvation

and Alabama trying a new method to kill people on death row by cutting off oxygen until they die.

I turn off the radio when news-time draws near

I don't want to listen 

I feel impotent. 

A kind someone gave me $50 to donate wherever I wish. 

I can't decide so it sits in an envelope 

on the dresser

in my bedroom.

I want $50,000

$500,00

50 million dollars to give

and still there will be suffering.

I can't post this blog entry as I haven't yet discovered the hopeful bit 

to hold gently to my chest

and sing to. 



So I think of the sunshine dancing among the trees

and remember the gifts of laughter 

wrapped and satin-bowed.

I hear the words "I love you Nana" 

while walking on the beach 

and gather rocks to ground me on this earth.



I so appreciate your comments and please add your name in the text 






10 comments:

  1. There are no words I could say to adequately respond to this post. So better I leave it to speak for itself. I don’t add my name because to do that I need a google account which I do not have and do not want. So I just sign it your food bank friend. That ought to be specific enough… smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is very challenging! We need to follow the people who make a positive difference. We need to carry their ideas forward. Follow your dreams. Make this a better world one step at a time. Care more, volunteer more, do your small share and others will follow in your footsteps. Spread your ideals and wisdom to all you know. Be
    passionate and you will succeed. We all have a purpose!
    What is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocks ground you, Jackie, and your delicious chicken soup has grounded me. Nu, who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't feel like getting out into the world today either.... very thought provoking ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jackie for your honest words and beautifully composed photographs. You remind me of the words of Rumi: “You must have shadow and light source both. Listen and lay your head under the tree of awe.” Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kevin...I will write the Rumi quote in my daytimer

      Delete
  6. I really felt your pain of the state of our world and your anger at it as well. i was very moved by your words. Yes, imagine having 50 or 500 million to give away. It's my dream when I buy a lottery ticket. I begin to plan where I'll give it away. There can't be much that's more fun than giving tons of money away. Your photographs are so beautiful.
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first picture of the gnarled Oak tree trunk with the thickened callused skin area around the amputated limb. Nature and time heels the worst wounds. Did you notice the wound is in the exact shape of a skull? fitting................

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the right attitude Jackie. We’re all feeling the desperation surrounding us these days. The only way to dampen the screams of a world in turmoil is to turn your attention to thinking beautiful thoughts, remembering people we loved and looking at nature’s artistry in seashore stones. Keep smiling and looking!

    ReplyDelete