Friday 25 July 2014

more notes from the garden

After my every-morning-the same wonderful summer breakfast of blueberries and raspberries with two overflowing spoonfuls of homemade almond butter sprinkled with hemp seed, I headed outdoors.




At 6:30 it was delightfully still: one man jogging and a lone woman with her white dog.

A few weeks ago, as the white creeping thyme in our front bed had finished flowering, we tried an experiment.  Brian trimmed about 1/5 of the bed with large clippers.  I'm not sure if it was because the blades were dull and therefore did a fair bit of tugging, or if perhaps we cut too much off.  Whatever the cause, I spent nearly an hour digging and pulling up their sad, dead remains.  Then I claimed some plants from the outside edge and tucked them in. Never mind that there is a hot sunny week ahead...  I certainly can't wait for an overcast few days!




                                    before and now photographs!    

Brian is out there whistling as he weeds along the deer-netting edge of another front bed. It's interesting- I garden in silence, unless I am talking to the plants personally, while he accompanies himself at all times.  I think Brian's beginning to understand how much work I've always done in the garden!  Now, with my body operating at less than full-gear, I am asking him ("please please today..") to take on some weeding chores. Now, if he'd only learn how to cook!

                                 Hakonechoa macra 'aureola'

    Here's a glimpse of a grouping of large containers in our back garden.

                                   Ginko biloba 'Troll'


No comments:

Post a Comment